Are We The Same? Ancillary Guide Book PLUS Children’s Activity Book Combo
Are We the Same? Ancillary Guide Book PLUS Children’s Activity Book Combo!
Draw, Play, Laugh & Learn
Are We the Same? Children’s Activity Book is a fun, entertaining, and educational activity book. Children love to colour the characters and develop their activities.
Are We the Same? Ancillary Guidebook is designed for educators, SLSOs, parents, carers, and therapists to organise activities and tasks in-and-out of home, clinical or school environments.
Are We The Same? is an Award-Winning Social Skills Program
Are We The Same? Children’s Activity Colouring Book received the National Foundation for Educational Development Award (Brazil, 1999) and sold 46,000 copies in two years.
Are We The Same? is a project to support the full participation and inclusion of all children within mainstream educational settings, with educational and therapeutic workshops to promote capacity building to teachers and parents on how to best use the activity book with children in mainstream schools or at home.
Are We The Same? A future with kindness and solidarity.
Are We the Same? is an educational resource with the mission to:
- Deliver evidence-based resources for children, families, and facilitators
- Foster and facilitate the process of respecting diversity
- Learn about emotional literacy
- Identify, understand, and respond to emotions in oneself and others in a healthy manner.
The purpose is to assist children to build an inclusive society using their choices, empathy, and kindness and learn to be active and socially responsible.
Who is Are We The Same? best suited to?
The program is designed for all children including children with disabilities from 3 to 12 years of age.
Aligning with family goals.
Taking on the role of facilitator goes far beyond delivering the Are We the Same? Children’s Activity Book!
It is achieved through reviewing our biases and opening a safe space for the children to discuss their feelings. Encouraging children to think and talk is a process of capacity building that supports children to learn how to make informed choices and have a proactive attitude towards the world.
The program is developed and delivered step-by-step, supporting children and families with their social, emotional, and behavioural goals, as well as:
- Improved Learning
- Improved Relationships
- Increased Social and Community Participation
- Improved Daily Living Skills
Are We The Same? builds capacity in the following areas:
- Perspective-taking skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Self-awareness and empathy
- Creating a collaborative learning environment
- Theory of Mind (Kloo et al., 2010)
- Learn skills for life, such as working collaboratively with peers, developing empathy and critical thinking,
- Improving communication
- Building self-care
- Learn self-regulation skills, resilience, and self-competence (‘I can handle this’).
- These skills help children learn and are key to their success in school and beyond.
What does the Are We The Same? program delivery look like?
Are We The Same? project offers multiple options and sensory experiences for children to explore during the activities.
Typically, the group program happens once a week, up to a period of 10 months, depending on the children’s development and delivery format.
How to organise the groups
- Who? Between 10 and 15 children in each group generally works well, depending on the needs of each child and the number of SLSOs for each class.
- When? Once a week. Choose a day and time and make it happen! Consistency is key — children rely on our consistency and, after a while, they will come to expect the Are We The Same? playgroup to take place at a certain time.
- How long? 40-60 minutes, depending on the age of the group and settings where it will be developed.
- Where? In a space with tables and chairs (removable or foldable), plenty of art and craft materials, a whiteboard, music, yoga mats, cushions, sensory toys, and a mini sensory space such as a tent, for any situation where children need a moment to self-regulate or calm down.
- What? Activities with Are We The Same? Children’s Activity Book.